Wednesday, January 18, 2012

the next step

Promotion for Emeli Sandé's debut longplayer, "Our Version Of Events", is in full swing. "Next To Me", the third single lifted from the elpee, has just dropped. And to mark its release, Emeli has lensed a video for it.

This time around, it's a more subdued affair. No gritty street scenes in London or Los Angeles. The video was shot in an empty warehouse and Emeli's bleached quiff gets full attention.



Another magnificent single. It kinda falls in Cee-Lo Green territory, which is not a bad thing. After all, who doesn't like a sprinkling of retro R&B in their day? My only complaint about "Next To Me" is something most people won't be bothered by. I think her vocal is swimming in too much reverb. I think a drier, more organic treatment would've suited her voice and the track much better. Splitting hairs, I suppose.

There is a lot of promise for Emeli. I'm really looking forward to hearing the entire album. Word on the street is that it leans heavily on ballads which would be a shame considering the way her first three singles have positioned her.

Turns out Emile's first name is Adele. What are the chances? Can you imagine the discussions about that at the label? The execs must have been falling all over each other in a panic. Oh, to have been a fly on the wall at those meetings.

1 comment:

  1. I think I have heard the same word on the street. You know, it's winter, it's grey...I think I'm okay with ballads. I do love this song, though...it's now stuck on repeat in my head.

    ReplyDelete