Friday, August 12, 2011

the centre of the heart is a suburb to the brain

Erasure have just announced the details of "When I Start To (Break It All Down)", the lead single from their forthcoming, fourteenth longplayer, "Tomorrow's World". The single sleeve, like the album cover, has been designed by Tom Hingston and uses another sculpture by artist Kate MacDowell.

I must admit that I have always enjoyed the continuity of the artwork for Erasure's singles and album campaigns. Much like Depeche Mode and Pet Shop Boys, Vince and Andy put a lot of loving care into the visuals of their packaging.

The single will be available on CD and as a download on September 26. Additionally,
"When I Start To (Break It All Down)" will be available as a single track download a full month ahead of the extended configurations.

The full, official tracklisting for the single include the following:

1. When I Start To (Break It All Down) (Single Mix)
2. Tomorrow's World
3. When I Start To (Break It All Down) (Steve Smart & Westfunk Main Room Mix)
4. When I Start To (Break It All Down) (Kris Menace Remix)
5. When I Start To (Break It All Down) (Little Loud Remix)

"Tomorrow's World" is a cover of the theme music from the UK TV series of the same which inspired the album title.

And as if that wasn't enough good news for Erasure fans, the tracklisting for the deluxe edition of "Tomorrow's World" has been announced. The first disc will feature the album in its entirety. The second disc will feature exclusive mixes, a bonus track and demos from the album recording sessions. The tracklisting for the bonus disc will include the following tasty nuggets:

1. I Lose Myself (Extended "No Self Control" Mix)
2. Give Me Life [bonus track not available elsewhere]
3. Fill Us With Fire (Extended "Fired Up" Mix)
4. When I Start To (Break It All Down) (Frankmusik Remix)
5. Clash (demo version of "I Lose Myself")
6. Big Song (demo version of "Fill Us With Fire")
7. Major 7th (demo version of "Be With You")
8. Save Me (demo version of "You've Got To Save Me Right Now")

The mixes of "I Lose Myself" and "Fill Us With Fire" were produced by Erasure mainstay, Gareth Jones. "Tomorrow's World" is scheduled to hit the "shops" on October 3.

4 comments:

  1. Just got back from a few days in Cologne (vinyl hunting, and I was able to lay my hands on a copy of the 12" of 'Ship of Fools" - still love the lovely artwork)... and have listened to the new single on Soundcloud (http://soundcloud.com/muterecords/06-when-i-start-to-break-it) about 8 times already .. and I need to get used to it .. which is not a bad thing in my Erasure book ;-)

    It's good to see that Gareth Jones is involved in the mixes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By jingo, 10 bonus Anglophile points for sneaking the British spelling of center in that headline. Re: Gareth Jones - I'm so creaky I can remember when he engineered every record that John Foxx released! I for one am enjoying the "sleeve art." I should get over to Soundcloud and listen. I plan on attending my first Erasure show in a few weeks and I'm about 17 years behind on these guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah just heard the 3 mixes from Kris Menace not bad and yes it does take time to get used to very different from there past work

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really lovin' those Gareth Jones remixes, as well as the exclusive 'Give me life'.
    A real nice package Erasure delivered here with the cd-single (Tomorrow's World has been wonderfully re-interpreted by Vince), as well as with the album.

    ReplyDelete